- The Florida Bar
- Hillsborough County Bar Association member
- College of Community Association Lawyers. The College of Community Association Lawyers (CCAL). CCAL was established in 1993 by CAI, with membership consisting of attorneys who have distinguished themselves through contributions to the practice of community association law. CCAL members must demonstrate both depth and breadth of experience in community association law through their writings, teachings and industry involvement, locally and nationally.
- Community Associations Institute. The Community Associations Institute (CAI) is an international membership organization, with more than 60 chapters worldwide, providing education and resources to volunteer homeowners and board members who govern community associations, and to the professionals who work with the associations.
Ellen Hirsch de Haan is Florida Bar Board Certified in Condominium and Planned Development Law, and has practiced Community Association Law representing Condominiums, Cooperatives, Homeowner Associations, Timeshares, and other mandatory membership Community and Commercial Associations since 1986. Ms. de Haan’s practice focuses on assisting her clients with creative problem solving, dispute resolution, and day to day association operations, including: document interpretation, drafting amendments, contract negotiations, enforcement, and Board and Membership meetings, Emotional Support Animals and Fair Housing Issues, among other areas of concern for the Associations. Her practice covers all of Florida.
In addition to her legal services, Ms. de Haan provides extensive training for Boards of Directors and provides Continuing Education Unit Courses for licensed Community Association Managers, teaching Board Certification Courses, as well as Contracts, Collections and Foreclosures, Disaster Planning and Preparation, Avoiding Burnout, Working with Difficult People, Leadership, Kinder and Gentler Covenant Enforcement, Conducting a One Hour Board Meeting, Living Your Best Life, and the annual Legal Update. She also speaks on the topics of Ethics, Work/Life Balance, Stress Management, and Mindfulness. Her presentations have been delivered all over the U.S. and in Canada. Each week, Ms. de Haan co-hosts the Internet Radio Show “Living a Primal Life Style” on which she discusses trends and developments in health and diet, dealing with stress, scientific research around the world, and
- A Place to Age – The Retirement Generation in Community Associations, published by Community Associations Press
- Elephants, Aardvarks and Me, a children’s book, published by Createspace.com (an Amazon company)
- Chapter: Corporate Counsel – the Business Judgment/Legal Advice Dichotomy Evolving Roles in the 21st Century, in the ebook The Most Important Corporate Law Lessons for CEOs Published by ExecSense, Inc.
- Boomer Shock: Preparing Communities for the Retirement Generation, published by Community Associations Press, Alexandria, Virginia
- Self-Management: A Guide for the Small Community Association, also published by Community Associations Press, Alexandria, Virginia, now in its 3d edition.
- “Housing Trends for the 21st Century,” published in Marquette Elder’s Advisor
- “Litigation Involving the Developer, Homeowners’ Associations, and Lenders,” with E. Richard Kennedy
- Article entitled “Aging in Place – The Development of Naturally Occurring Retirement Communities” published in the inaugural issue of the Journal of Community Association Law
- Article entitled “Aging in Place: Naturally Occurring Retirement Communities and Condominium Living” published in Elder’s Advisor, The Journal of Elder Law and Post-Retirement Planning
- Multiple Blogs
Community Associations Institute (CAI) National Service
- Past President of CAI National.
- Past President of the Community Associations Institute Foundation for Community Association Research.
- Past Commissioner for the National Board of Certification – Community Association Managers (“NBC-CAM”).
- Member of the National CAI Teaching Faculty – 1994 – 2012
- Contributing editor for Common Ground magazine.
- Past Member – Board of Governors, College of Community Association Lawyers
- Secretary, Executive Committee and member of the Board of Directors of Habitat for Humanity of Pinellas County
- Member of the Florida Bar
- Member of The College of Community Association Lawyers
- Member of the Board of Advisors of the University of Miami School of Law Institute on Condominium and Cluster Developments
- Member of Board of Advisors for the Community Association Management Insider published by Brownstone Publishers, Inc.
- Member of the Community Associations Institute
Awards and Honors
- 2018, Don Buck Lifetime Achievement Award (College of Community Association Lawyers)
- 2016, CAI Outstanding Volunteer Service Award
- 2010, NBC-CAM Service and Leadership Award
- 2008, CAI Educator of the Year Award
- 2003, CAI Outstanding Volunteer Service Award
- 2002, CAI Distinguished Service Award
- 1997-1998 Author of the Year
- 1994, CAI Outstanding Volunteer Service Award;