Does Your Community Association Have Your Current Contact Information?

If you live or own property that is located within a homeowners, condominium or other form of community Association, you will want to be sure to provide the Association or responsible management company with your current contact information so that they are able to reach you with important information and notices. While it may seem trivial, often times homeowners simply forget to update their mailing address or other contact information when they relocate or when there is a change in circumstances. This issue can be common especially if the homeowner owns the property as second home or as an investment property. Typically, the community Association or management will have the property address listed as the main address to send notices and other important information.

When this is the case, any notices or correspondence which are mailed out are sent to the property address even though the homeowner does not actually reside there. This lack of contact may cause serious problems. Also, in the event of an emergency, such as a hurricane, the homeowner will want to provide the community Association with a way to reach them or an alternate emergency contact person. A prime example of an issue that has come up often in the past few years is when a homeowner fails to pay assessments because they are not receiving any notices, including late notices, which have been mailed to the property address. The tenant may disregard the notices or simply throw them away without alerting the homeowner. The homeowner may not actually find out about the situation until a large delinquency has accumulated. Even worse, the homeowner may find out that the community Association has initiated a foreclosure action against them for unpaid assessments, just because they did not have their contact information up-to-date. In sum, it is imperative for homeowners to check that their contact information that is on file with their community Association is kept accurate and updated at least once every year to avoid any potential issues.

David Befeler, Esq.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments